Our earrings are one the most used accessories, and because of that, they can build up some dirt and smell.
This dirt and smell can lead to infection and painful ears.
Also, disinfecting and cleaning earrings restores the look of the earrings and makes them look just as new.
But one needs to know how to disinfect earrings properly.
So, how to disinfect earrings?
Disinfecting earrings is not rocket science but is rather a very easy job and can be done using some of the items from your pantry.
In this blog, I will show you how to disinfect earrings at home.
- 1 How to disinfect earrings?
- 2 Method 3: How to clean earrings with gemstones
- 3 How often should you disinfect your earrings?
- 4 Why disinfect your earrings?
- 5 Parting words
How to disinfect earrings?
As said earlier, cleaning and disinfecting earrings is one of the most simple yet rewarding things you can do for your earrings.
Given below are methods to disinfect your earrings.
Method 1: disinfect using soap and water
It is a very simple method and should only be used if your earrings are lightly soiled or dirty.
All you need is a dish large enough to fit both your earring.
- Make a solution of soap and warm water
- Summerger your earrings into that solution for 10 to 15 minutes.
- Take the earrings out of the solution and clean the jewelry gently using a jewelry brush.
- Rinse the earrings under cold water.
- Pat dry using a clean cloth.
- If there is still some residue left, do the process again.
Method 2: how to disinfect new earrings?
If you have new earrings then here is a super effective method to disinfect them.
All you will be needing is hydrogen peroxide and a bowl.
- Fill the bowl halfway with hydrogen peroxide and let your earrings sit inside it for 20 minutes if they are lightly soiled and overnight if they are heavily soiled.
- After the time is over, remove the earrings from the bowl.
- Using a jewelry brush or a cotton swab clean the soiled and hard-to-reach areas.
- Now rinse the earrings under warm water.
And your earrings would be clean and disinfected.
Method 3: How to clean earrings with gemstones
Gemstone earrings are beautiful.
We all adore our gemstone earrings more than any piece of jewelry
However, they too tend to get dirty and can cause infection hence it is important to clean and disinfect them
But gemstone earrings can be delicate, especially gemstone, and can lose luster by using harsh chemicals hence, they require special care while disinfecting.
Given below are the steps to disinfect a gemstone earring.
- Make a solution of one-quarter cup of ammonia and one cup of water.
- Keep the earrings in the solution for 20 to 30 minutes.
- While they are hanging out in ammonia and water solution, make another solution of water and half a teaspoon of dish soap.
- Now put your rubber gloves on and take out your earrings from the ammonia solution and put them into the soap water solution.
- Now do a gentle swearing motion to make sure that the solution is getting into each and every crevice of the earrings.
- Now take the earrings out of the solution and clean them gently using a jewelry brush.
- Now rinse them under clean water and pat them dry using a clean cloth.
Your gemstone earring is clean and disinfected.
Method 4: how to clean earrings inside the ear?/ how to clean newly pierced earrings?
This method is for those who have got fresh piercings.
Hence, you are not allowed to take them off for some time.
So how do disinfect them? Is there a way?
Luckily, yes there is a super-easy way to disinfect fresh piercings.
Follow the steps given below to disinfect freshly pierced earrings.
- First, you need to wash your hands thoroughly so that you are not passings the germs from your hands to the piercings.
- Take some rubbing alcohol and dip a cotton ball in it.
- Now tap that cotton ball on the front and back of the earlobes while turning your earrings.
- Follow this step several times until you have cleaned all the build-up from the piercing.
- Now wipe the excess with a fresh and clean cotton ball.
So these were the ways to disinfect your earrings.
How often should you disinfect your earrings?
- If you are using an earring on daily basis then you should disinfect it twice a week.
- If you have a fresh piercing you should disinfect your earrings every third or second day (whichever you feel good) till your piercing is healed.
- In the case of special earrings, the premium ones that you only wear once or twice a month.
You can disinfect them after every use.
As when they are kept inside the jewelry box, the dark surrounding is perfect for bacteria to breed hence the build-up can be bad.
Why disinfect your earrings?
Is there any benefit in disinfecting your earrings?
Why should you disinfect your earrings in the first place?
It is really important to disinfect your earrings and to justify this given below are some reasons to disinfect your earrings.
1. Maintains the beauty
Disinfecting and cleaning your earrings regularly will maintain the beauty and shine of your earrings.
Remember how you were attracted to the beauty and luster of the earrings when you saw them at the jeweler?
Disfincting your earrings will give you the same feeling each and every time.
Build-up like natural oils, dead skin, dust, etc can damage your earrings.
Dust when trapped in the threads of the locking system can seriously weaken the strength of the locking system.
Natural oils can eat up the luster of your earrings.
Hence, disinfecting earrings can enhance the longevity of the earrings by many folds.
3. Prevents infection
All the buildup trapped in your earrings is the main cause of the infection.
It doesn’t matter whether your base metal is hypoallergenic or not.
If there is build-up on a gold earring then gold despite being hypoallergenic in nature can cause infection.
Hence, if you want to stay away from infection start disinfecting your earrings and your ears will thank you.
And that is all folks.
This was all you need to know about disinfecting your earrings.
Do not forget to be very gentle while disinfecting your earrings else you can damage them.