Got a new piercing?
I know the excitement of replacing it with something new and adorable but hold on and don’t rush the healing time as it can create complications.
Talking about healing time and complications the number one factor that increases the chance of infections and increases healing time is improper cleaning of new piercings.
If you have experience in getting piercings then you must be knowing how important saline solution is.
However, if you got your very first piercing then the name of the saline solution may seem like something out of a chemistry class.
But don’t worry, a saline solution is safe and essential for new piercing and can even speed up the healing process!
But only if you know how, when and how much to use.
In this blog, we will be talking about the same.
- 1 What is a saline solution?
- 2 Can I use saline solution for piercing?
- 3 How to make a saline solution/DIY saline solution for piercing?
- 4 Saline solution for piercing ratio
- 5 How to use saline solution for piercing?
- 6 Where to buy saline solution for piercing?
- 7 Best saline solution piercing
- 8 What can I use to clean my piercing if I don’t have sea salt?
- 9 Parting words
What is a saline solution?
Saline solution is also known as isotonic saline, it is a mixture of salt (0.9 %) and water. The sodium concentration in saline solution is the same as in your blood and tears.
The uses of saline solution are as follows.
- Used to treat dehydration.
- It is used to treat sore throat.
- Clear sinus.
- Used to flush out the eyes.
Can I use saline solution for piercing?
Yes, you can and should use saline solution for piercing. Apart from its other uses, a saline solution is also very effective in cleaning the fresh piercing, it cleans the wound and promotes healing.
New piercings if not treated right can develop infection and one way to prevent it is by soaking your piercing in a sea salt or saline mixture.
However, one should know how to make a saline solution and how to use it so that one can reap the maximum benefits.
How to make a saline solution/DIY saline solution for piercing?
Making saline solution is very easy and you can make it from the ingredients present in your kitchen.
You just have to make sure that you carry out the making process in clean surroundings and store the saline solution in a sterilized jar.
- Water (tap water or distilled water)
- Non-iodized table salt or sea salt.
- Sterilized utensils for mixing.
- Sterilized and air-tight container.
- Baking soda (optional).
Follow the process given below to make your DIY saline solution for piercing.
if you are using tap water then make sure to pasteurize it, i.e bring the water to a vigorous boil and let it cool down completely, this kills all the bacteria present in the water.
If you are using distilled water then you are good to go.
Add 1 teaspoon of salt to 2 cups of water and stir until everything is dissolved.
Store the mixture in an air-tight container and toss it in the fridge.
The shelf life of this mixture is of 24 hours and after that, you have to make a new batch, so make sure to make small batches and use them within a day.
Also, make sure not to add too much sea salt to the solution as too much salt can irritate the skin and will do more harm than good.
Saline solution for piercing ratio
If you add too much salt to the saline solution then it will irritate and will lead to the most uncomfortable and painful minutes of your life.
To avoid it one should be well aware of the saline solution for piercing ratio.
Generally, ¼ to ⅛ teaspoon of salt in 250 ml of water is recommended and will work for most people out there.
Here, more is not better hence, one should be careful while making saline solution.
How to use saline solution for piercing?
Now that you have made your very own saline solution it’s time to clean those piercing.
Follow the steps given below to clean your earrings using saline solution.
- Wash your hands properly before applying the saline solution.
- Take a cotton piece or ear swab and dip it in the saline solution. It is best to take solutions separately in a bowl.
- Now dab the cotton in the solution and gently apply it to the piercing, try not to move the piercing more than necessary.
- Gently clean all the build-up and rotate the piercing a bit (don’t do it if you feel pain)
- Do this three times a week and apply moisturizer after every use.
Where to buy saline solution for piercing?
Making a saline solution at home may seem like a chore and yes it is. Sometimes we don’t have enough time to make a DIY saline solution.
Here, the best way is to buy a saline solution from a drug store. You can find a saline solution at a drug store or you can order it from Amazon.
Best saline solution piercing
Here are some best slaine solutions available for piercing.
- Recovery’s piercing aftercare purified saline spray
- NeilMed piercing aftercare
- Base labs sea salt wash
What can I use to clean my piercing if I don’t have sea salt?
If you think that sea salt is a must for a saline solution then you are right, but this doesn’t mean that you can’t substitute it.
If you don’t have sea salt then you can use ordinary salt to make saline solution, it will be as effective as sea salt.
So this was all you need to know about the saline solution.
It is a very good way to boost the healing process plus it keeps infections at bay. Making your saline solution is easy and economic but store-bought options are just as good.
When it comes to usage, 3 times a week preferably before bathing is ideal.